Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vegan Cookie Bars

Once a month I drive down to Austin to meet up with some friends.  About half of them are vegans which leaves me challenged for what to bring.  I'm allergic to soy so all the normal vegan substitutions don't work for me.  Taking the time to bake something I can't eat, pack it up and bring it with me kinda sucks.  One of my friends has been helping me find Kelli-safe, vegan options.  Thank you, Em.  These cookie bars are based on the strawberry bars I've made before but with a couple of changes. These received the approval of vegans and carnivores alike.  And this time, boys and girls, I'm including a recipe.  Please enjoy.


Kelli-safe Vegan Raspberry Cookie Bars
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup Earth Balance Soy-free margarine
  • 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 2/3 cup raspberry jam
  • 3/4 cup Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips (these contain a little soy, but not enough to kill me)
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
Pre-heat the oven to 375.  Line a 8x12 or 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.  Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a large bowl.  Add the sugars and whisk again.  Add the butter and rub it in with your fingers until it's all mashed up.  Stir in the oats.  Press 3/4 of the mixture into baking pan.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Let stand about 5 minutes.

Spread the jam evenly over the cookie base.  Sprinkle chocolate chips on the jam.  Mix almonds into the remaining flour mixture and sprinkle over chocolate chips.  Pat down gently.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned on top.  Let cool in the pan.  Lift out of the pan by lifting edges of parchment.  Slice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment