Friday, January 7, 2011

Red Velvet (virgin) Cake Balls and Amazingly Incredible Frosting

Over the summer I did Red Velvet minis for a party at a club.  Well, I guess they liked them because they ordered Red Velvet Cake Balls for their XXXmas party.  They asked for 120 Red Velvet Cake Balls with white coating and red and green sprinkles.


I made an extra 30 so hubby and I could snitch a couple and there would still be plenty left to add to the trays I made for his office.  (More on that another day.)

Here they are with some of that sprinkle bark I told you about.


Red Velvet Cake Balls:

makes ABOUT 50

1 - 8x2 round red velvet cake (I use the one from Rose's Heavenly Cakes)
Amazingly Incredible Frosting (basically buttercream with cream cheese replacing half the butter and 1 Tbsp cocoa powder added)
buttermilk
vanilla candy coating
sprinkles

Mash up cake in a large bowl.  Add a splash of buttermilk and enough frosting to make it all hold together.

Measure out 1 Tbsp at a time to form balls of cake and lay them out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.  DON'T LET THEM TOUCH.  Pop this in the freezer for an hour or more.

Melt candy coating and dip frozen cake balls.  Top with sprinkles.  Sprinkles stick better before coating dries, I did a 'dip 3, sprinkle 3' rotation.  Allow to cool and then ....

Enjoy!

1 comment: