Thursday, September 9, 2010

Toasty Nuts

Amid all the muffin baking, walnuts and pecans had to be toasted.  The smell was intoxicating.  It reminded me of walking into the mall near my sister's apartment.  At the entrance nearest the book store there's a stand that roasts nuts all day long.  That scent creeps into every nook and cranny of your brain until you find yourself in line ordering cashews or pecans or some amazingly tasty treat.

I didn't see why the mall should have all the fun so I tried my hand at it.  I threw a few handfuls of nuts into a skillet until they smelled right and then added some butter until it melted.  I then added some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until everything blended together.  I measured nothing and timed even less.  The whole thing was done by trusting my nose and eyes.  I poured the finished product into a bowl and snacked while I baked.

The aroma in my house lasted a couple of days.  I found myself wanting to go outside for a few minutes just so I could come back in and smell it like it was new again.  All that I didn't eat right away went into a jar in my pantry.  There are still a few left but that's only because I forgot about them until a few moments ago.  Who wants to bet there won't be any left by tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment