Saturday, September 11, 2010

Super Ultra Mega Moist Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry muffins were the last muffins of my mighty muffin making marathon.  (I probably could have used more words that start with M but we'll just leave it at that.) Once again, these are from Bake Wise (recipe starts on page 131.)  Blueberry have always been my favorite kind of muffins.  There's just something about gooey blueberries encased in something that can best be described as cake.  I even like them better than chocolate, chocolate chip muffins.  To say I like something better than chocolate is saying a lot.

In this recipe Shirley warned me, personally, that these would be very moist and very delicate.  Wow, was she ever right!  She even offered 2 tips to toughen them up a little bit.  One was to add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients before the other liquids, so that it could soak into the flour and give the flour more structure. The other was to basically beat the heck out of the final batter to form more gluten.  I did both of these and still ended up with something that just barely held together!  Please feel free to laugh at what happens when you pick up a super moist, super delicate muffin when it's still warm.  Every time I touched one it just crumbled to bits.  I think that next time I might add a teensy bit more flour and maybe something else to strengthen them a little bit.  A little less moisture in these would still produce an incredibly moist blueberry muffin.  I think I will also using baking cups just to help them come out of the pan.

Enough about the texture, now let's talk about the taste.  If I said they were dreamy would you believe me?  Well, they are!  They have orange zest and lemon zest so they have a great zing to them.  They're also made with buttermilk and whipped cream.  Oh, Shirley and her whipped cream!  I really do love it.  These were without a doubt the best, more flavorful, most decadent blueberries muffins I've ever had in my life.  Oddly, they were also the first blueberry muffins that I've made from scratch. The hubby describes them simply as "sex" (he says it in a "recently pleased" voice.)  I mentioned in a previous post that banana nut was his favorite muffin but after eating these they were elevated above banana and are now first place in his heart.

Just look at all those gooey blueberries and that beautiful cakey muffin.  If you feel like you need to take another peek at this post before going to sleep tonight feel free.  They will ensure sweet dreams.

2 comments:

  1. These look sooooo good! I'll have to see if Half Price Books has the book so I can attempt them once I'm through with my elimination diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll love them! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete