Monday, July 19, 2010

mmmmmmmmm sourdough

First things first.  The hubby got me a new book last night.  The Cookie and Biscuit Bible by Catherine Atkinson.  This is an English book.  (English like from England, as well as written in the English language.)  This seems like it would cause some confusion but it doesn't.  Naturally things are listed in grams and mls but the ounces and teaspoons are listed right next to them.  They use some English words for things but then have the American names following.  I spent last night skimming over it and soon I will have something to show you from it.

Now back to the sour dough.  This is, of course, from Artisan Breads Everyday.  Maybe it's just my favorite bread book because it's my only one so far but it hasn't let me down yet.  I made the slow version this time.  It takes an hour longer than the quick version but after a week of prep that doesn't really seem like much of a difference.  My sister and I made one loaf to leave home for my hubby and my bro inlaw while we took the other loaf home to our mom, her dad (my step dad) and our sister.  EVERYONE liked it.  I saved some mother starter so it won't take me a week next time.  Uh oh, now I have myself looking forward to the next time!

Bread dough whirling around in the mixer.  I guess it's hard to tell that this is an "action" shot.

After sitting in the fridge in a big ball over night we split it into 2 loaves and let it rest on the counter.

Loaf 1 ready to go into the oven.

Loaf 2 ready to bake.

Loaf 1 all baked and cooling.  Man, waiting for fresh bread to cool before you eat it sure is torture!

No comments:

Post a Comment