Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Snickerdoodles

As a kid I like helping out with the snickerdoodles.  I don't know which recipe my mother used but they were a little bit puffy and light.  The recipe I used, not so much. 

A couple of months ago I bought some flour at Whole Foods.  I poured into my flour container and threw away the bag so I can't tell you the name but it seems to be a very low protein flour and that makes my cookies sad.  I mixed 1/4 of that with 3/4 of gold medal all-purpose but still, sad cookies.  I was pleased and excited about the red sugar but otherwise my snickerdoodles spread too much and were too crisp.

I checked Bake Wise to see what Shirley might suggest for too flat, too crisp cookies.  She says higher protein flour and use butter flavored shortening instead of butter.  I think that using gold medal or pillsbury should take care of the flour issue but if not I'll have to hunt down some King Arthur.  I was, at least, happy with the way they looked although I suspect they may have been slightly over leavened.


So, here's what I'll do next time:

1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar (for coating)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (for coating)

In a medium bowl, beat the shortening for 30 seconds.  Add the 1 cup sugar and beat until combined.  Scrape the sides of the bowl.  Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.  In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.  Beat into the shortening mixture gradually until all combined.  Cover and chill for one hour.

Stir together the 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar mixture.  Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375F for 10 to 11 minutes, or until the edges are golden.  Cool on a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. The snickerdoodles looks yummy! I will have to make soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. They certainly look cute, sad that they didn't give you the texture you were looking for!

    ReplyDelete