Wednesday, October 27, 2010

S'MORES Baby! S'mores!

For the past 158 years I've been dying to make s'mores cupcakes but I was waiting for the right occasion.  Well, I finally found the occasion!  Very exciting.  These yummies were treat 2 of 3 that I brought to the party I attended on Saturday.



During those 158 years I had come across many s'mores recipes, formulas and concepts.  Even with all these options I could have gone with, I didn't.  One long night of insomnia led me to the perfect idea.  Perfect in mind head anyways, and not so bad in reality either.  The cake was chocolate, of course.  In the bottom of each cupcake was a crumbled quarter graham cracker.  Cupcakes were also coated in semi sweet ganache, sprinkled with more crumbled graham cracker and filled and topped with marshmallow frosting!

To be honest, they were a tad messy to eat but the guests at our friends' party seemed to manage just fine.  For me, a fork and a plate were the ideal method of consumption.  All the flavors blended beautifully.  The interplay of the textures was great and the smell was enticing to say the least.



What I'll do different next time (which I've accounted for in the directions below):
  • make less ganache!  I did 8 oz of chocolate and 8 oz of heavy cream and I have a BUNCH in my fridge!
  • maybe shave a little chocolate on top
  • maybe sprinkle a little graham cracker on top of the frosting
  • maybe use devil's food for the cake
Directions

You will need:
  • chocolate cake recipe or box mix
  • graham crackers
  • semi sweet chocolate (chips work)
  • heavy cream
  • powdered sugar
  • salt
  • marshmallow fluff
  • corn starch
  • butter
FIRST, make your ganache, it will need to cool.  Warm 4 ounces of heavy cream over medium heat until it steams then add 4 ounces chocolate.  Stir until completely smooth.  Pour into heat resistant bowl, stir in 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup.  Cover with plastic wrap (I love "press and seal") and cool to room temp.

Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.  Put 1/4 crumbled graham cracker into the bottom of each liner.  If you want to crumble them all at once, that's about 2 teaspoons per cupcake.

Make your cake batter, enough for 18 cupcakes. Divide batter between liners and bake according to cake directions.

Meanwhile, make frosting.  Combine one 13 ounce jar marshmallow fluff, 18 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature), 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (add gradually), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon corn starch and a dash of salt.  Mix until completely combined.

When cupcakes are completely cooled inject each one with a little marshmallow frosting. You'll know it's enough when you feel the cupcake expand a little.

Spread a little ganache on top of each cupcake and then sprinkle with more crumbled graham cracker (about 1 teaspoon for each).  Top with marshallow frosting and enjoy your cupcake like a little kid who just snuck a cookie!




4 comments:

  1. I loved these they were sooo yummmy!! I love your blog too! I look forward to more sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i'm so glad you liked them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh! I did not need to look at these fabulous looking yummies this morning! Great looking recipe, Kelli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept of these cupcakes. Who wouldn't love them! Chocolate and marshmallow. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete